Username:  
Password:     
Register Help Member List View New Posts View Today's Posts

Thoughts on melee DPS?
Thoughts on melee DPS?
So I'm not sure who else has come to the same conclusion but it seems like in group pvp melee dps kind of blows. The important roles appear to be Tank, ranged DPS (mage), melee CC (q staff etc), or ranged CC (warbow I suppose). Do I have that about right?

If that's the case, I may shift gears so to speak and go back to leveling up my mage gear. If I do, what staff seems to be the best at ranged DPS at the moment? A week ago I would've said curse staff, but that got nerfed in Aurelius.
12-11-2015, 04:36 PM
RE: Thoughts on melee DPS?
From what I've been able to observe from the alliance is that frost is p OP. The moving blizzards are great for pushing into enemies, as well as farming. Preach is going fire and I have high hopes for fire walls and meteors.

I agree with you on Melee, I don't seem to get to utilize it too much in pvp. My q staff is pretty much full cc/stun spec'ed and that's really all I'm good for it seems. Rushing after people running or slapping a cc onto a mage and running back before I get focused hard.

EDIT:I also have seen arcane used really well, from the linking damage increase channel perspective. toss it onto a frost mage or a spinny warrior and he does leet deeps.

[Image: FEARFLEET.jpg]
12-11-2015, 04:54 PM (This post was last modified: 12-11-2015 04:55 PM by FearBytes Bear.)
Hm yeah arcane could be cool. Maybe I'll give that a shot for a while. And then just use leather/daggers(or spear) for solo or really small scale.
12-11-2015, 05:18 PM
I know that our alliance groups really like to have an arcane staff around for all the great utility it provides.

As far as melee DPS goes, daggers are actually really sick, but your role is kind of... stale? Basically what happens is, as the initiation happens there tends to be at least 1 person stuck in our lines and rooted. We push into the enemy and the guy who got rooted takes a bunch of random damage. We push past him and a melee dagger or cursed staff guy just finishes him off.

Basically from what I've seen with daggers you're just kind of a rogue-ish executioner. You have a lot of single-target burst damage that you use to drop out of position enemy players and then wait until the opportunity arises again.

QStaff is great to protect back lines, shut down enemy flanks and disperse enemy groups when necessary.

Mace seems like a sub-par PvP weapon for DPS.

I've heard Scythe is super good now too. Also the pike is amazing for pudge hooking people.

But yeah in terms of anything like being tanky while applying pressure as melee in Darkfall or an Arms warrior in WoW - doesn't seem like a thing, probably mostly because of how armor works. You need the heavy armor to be able to absorb significant amounts of damage, but it comes at the cost of not being able to dish out lots of damage.

I think the answer lies more in:

If you play melee, do you want to tank/initiate or do damage. It is hard (really impossible right now) to do both. Maybe greataxe could do it? But it seems like you'd kind of gimp yourself on either side. But I think a medium armor greataxe might have some potential as a brawl-y hybrid. Mobile and tanky enough to not die instantly but still able to put out a lot of damage plus self-heal a little. Unless I'm getting two weapons confused. There's some life-leech melee weapon.
12-11-2015, 08:09 PM
I think what I'll do is continue to go melee, but split my grinding between daggers (DPS) and spears (CC), so I can be useful in pvp with the harpoon.
12-11-2015, 08:40 PM