Username:  
Password:     
Register Help Member List View New Posts View Today's Posts

Laptop Memory
Laptop Memory
Soo looking to upgrade my laptops memory for DF and I'm looking at 16gigs ddr3 but I don't know much about buying ram for laptops. On top of this I haven't bought memory for a desktop in years so I'm really out of the game.

Really what brought me to ask this on the forums is how fucking cheap the memory is.. I feel like it's too good to be true and I am missing something here.

Suggestions for brands and anything else I should look out for would be appreciated.

In case it's relevant laptop specs:
AMD Radeon 6870 1G GDDR5
i7 2670 2.20
12-26-2012, 04:52 AM
RE: Laptop Memory
Memory is super cheap period. And gets extremely cheap very quickly.

Just to give you an example: Memory for my brand new lenovo yoga is $40 for 8gb. The laptop only came out in oct or something...

Your biggest and only real concern when buying laptop memory is, "is it compatible?". Your choices on laptop memory is reduced a great deal due to compatibility. So I suggest posting your laptop model Smile.

PS: You also want to make sure your laptop has the capabilities to hold 16gb Smile.

PSS: If your only concern is running one instance of DF then you don't even need 16gb.
12-26-2012, 12:10 PM (This post was last modified: 12-26-2012 12:12 PM by Newbie Bear.)
Don't worry it can hold 32g of memory. It's an Alienware m17x r3 that uses DDR3 PC3-10600/12800.

That's true but I always buy more than what I need because chances are it won't take long for something to come out where I will need it and I prefer to upgrade something once.
12-26-2012, 03:16 PM
Well here's my advice: Personally I think you won't need more then 8GB. You will most likely want to upgrade your comp before truly needing more then 8GB.

But if you want 16GB then 16GB you shall have Smile. Your CPU supports daul channel @ 1333, so you'll want to get 2x8GB 1333 sticks. Here's some choices from newegg just take your pick Smile.

If you plan on keeping your old ram in the comp, make sure you try to buy the same speed, voltage, and timings as those. But if your buying 16gb you can dump the older stuff anyway. And when installing it make sure your putting them in the right slots to take advantage of dual channel.
12-27-2012, 01:07 PM
Much appreciated, I went with 8GB since you seemed pretty adamant 16 wasn't worth it. Better not let me down Newbie!
12-27-2012, 03:49 PM